Why Jo Malone Candles Are Not Worth The Money


Hello Lovelies,

If you know me well, you will know that I love a good ol' scented candle. There is something about the solitary flickering of orange and the release of a sweet aroma that can calm any mood. There is always a candle burning somewhere in my house.

But where do we start? The shops are flooded with them. Everywhere from your local supermarket, to department stores, to designer brands. And I guess that's where Jo Malone comes in.



I don't think I would be being too presumptuous to say that the average person when shopping for a scented candle would probably pick up ASDA's in-house brand (or similar supermarket brands). Or maybe even splash out on a Yankee Candle.

There is a lot floating around on the quality of a candle and how much you really should be investing in one. Here comes the boring sciencey bit...

Though they seem safe, regular scented candles are a huge source of indoor air pollution and they put off chemicals that are considered just as dangerous as second-hand smoke. Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and has to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made into a wax. Most candles are made of paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (both are known carcinogens). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes. On top of that, many scented candles also have wicks that contain heavy metals like lead, and even a few hours of burning them can create levels of airborne heavy metals that are much higher than the acceptable limits.




Considering its painstaking candle making process and premium prices, it’s entirely possible that Jo Malone London candles use environmentally friendly, non-toxic ingredients but it appears that the brand doesn’t disclose exactly what type of wax is used in its candles, which may be a concern. I have searched extensively for a list of ingredients for the candles and have failed to find anything substantial.

There is no denying these candles smell great. And that they should as they retail at £44.00 each for a standard home candle, with 45 hours burn time. Not only should you be hoping to get a high-quality product for that price, but high-quality service. Each product is meticulously gift wrapped in scented tissue, gift box, ribbon and gift bag. The staff are always beyond courteous, and in that department, I couldn't really ask for more.
But are these candles worth the money? Are you getting a top-notch product for the eye-watering price tag? I think not. 




A brand not disclosing their ingredients list? It all seems a bit fishy to me. I also looked into the matter of Jo Malone being cruelty-free. On their website it states;

"Jo Malone Inc. is committed to the elimination of animal testing. We are equally committed to consumer health and safety, and bringing to market products that comply with applicable regulations in every country in which our products are sold.
We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law. We evaluate our finished products in clinical tests on volunteer panels.
Jo Malone Inc. fully supports the development and global acceptance of non-animal testing alternatives. To this end, the Company works extensively with the industry at large and the global scientific community to research and fund these alternatives."

Jo Malone sells their products in China, where it is required by law for products to be tested on animals (a rant for another time). Therefore, I find it hard to agree with their statement that they are "committed to the elimination of animal testing" when they are actively doing the opposite.



Since finding this information out, I do not purchase anymore**. Sad as that is, they just go completely against my ethics. Animal testing should not be tolerated. Ever.

I've cut out cheap tealights and other such things that are so damaging. But in the time since I've enjoyed filling my house with more ethically sourced organic candles, that are much better for both us and the planet. I think I'd like to do a follow-up post on all the candles/companies I use now and would recommend to you if you're planning on doing the switch.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Do you actively look for environmentally-friendly candles, or just pick up any old one? Would you pay high-end prices for a better quality product, even if it is just a candle? Let me know.

All My Love

_________________________________________



**To clarify, I did not purchase the candle photographed in this post, nor has it been burned.
* Disclaimer: All content on this blog is my own. Paid Advertorials are my own views, opinion and content. Copyright of Deadly Is The Female.
Share:
© Deadly Is The Female | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig