5 Things I Learnt From The Education System


Hello Lovelies,

Everyone has gone through the education system. How far? That's another matter. It's University for me now and have been thinking a lot about what is nearly 2 decades of education. I can’t believe it's nearly over. All those memories - some good, some bad. This feels like I am on the last hurdle, the home stretch. And it's bittersweet. Thousands of teens collected their A Level Results yesterday, and I think it's GCSE Results Day next week. Reflection is a wonderful thing, and I can definitely say I have learnt a lot.


1. Nothing Ever Comes Easy

If you think it does, then you're either very lucky or just stupid. Whether it's expending your knowledge of a subject, improving at a skill, or just getting through the system, it isn't going to be easy. You have to work hard if you want to achieve. I knew so many people who had such a chip on their shoulder; they would blame the system for their poor results. Yes, the system has many faults and a lot to answer for, but sadly you just have to suck it up and try your best. You can't blame others when you fuck up for the rest of your life. You'll get nowhere.
I promise you that hard work pays off. There will be low moments - that I know. And there will be times that you just want to sack it all off. But if you "stick in" (as my Grandpa calls it), you can achieve anything if you're determined enough. All it takes is hard work, perseverance and ambition. I believe in you.

2. It Never Matters As Much As You Think

Both at GCSE and A Level, I ended up having a break-down because I was so consumed with stress and worry. I have always been a ‘high achiever’, and I guess that also comes with a lot of pressure/expectations to live up to. I pushed myself to breaking-point to achieve A*’s, only realising after that it didn’t really matter that much. Each level is just a stepping stone to the next, and as long as you get the qualification to take you to your next rung of the ladder, what does the rest really matter? Hindsight is a bitch, and I wish I knew this when I was younger. It may have prevented a lot of tears and sleepless nights.

3. Do What You Love

I feel like this is probably the most important thing I have ever learnt. It seems so simple, especially as it said so much. I feel like there is still this underlying pressure to do something that is ‘academic’, or ‘looks good’, or will be ‘attractive to employers’. 
Well, fuck that
I took Business Studies for a year and I have honestly never been so unhappy. I took it because I thought potential employers would like it. Yeah, well it turns out when you don't like a subject it's very hard to get an A*. I regretted it so much, and wish I had taken something that I just loved that year. I actually planned to continue Fine Art but dropped that last minute because the doubt kicked in. 
You won't succeed if you take something that doesn’t fulfil you. You need to be happy, so take something that you love.

4. Nothing Lasts Forever

Out of all the things I have learnt, this is probably the hardest one to go through. When I say "nothing lasts forever", I mean the storm will pass and the sun will shine. This can come in many forms. The one that springs to mind is when it comes to friendships. I think this is especially apparent during high school; people are growing, changing and finding themselves. No one really knows what they want or who they want to be yet. 
And that's okay
But that also means a lot of changes. Some find it easier than others to adjust to this, but it happens to everyone. My biggest advice is to find people who make you happy, and that you can be yourself around. They will be your rocks when things get tough (queue point #1). But you've also got to accept that these people may not be your rocks forever. Circumstances alter, people change, and in some scenarios, people show their 'true colours'. Remember that this is not your fault, this is natural. Exam periods and stress also don't last forever. Remember that in a few short weeks everything will be over, and a new chapter will start. 

5. Take Every Opportunity

Like I said earlier, hindsight is a bitch. When you leave the education system, the regrets that stick out the most are the opportunities you didn't take. These are the years where you form the adult you will become. Do after school clubs, go to parties, join the debate team; take every opportunity (within reason - don't do drugs kids) that presents itself to you. Regret is an awful thing to feel, and it's only when you leave that you realise just how many resources you had right at your very fingertips. You will never get that again so make the most of it.


I hope everyone that collected their results got everything they hoped for! And for those that didn't, it's honestly not the end of the world (queue point #2). Life has a funny way of working out. Stay positive, work hard, and the world is your oyster.
Whatever path you have chosen, I hope you find every happiness and success. 

All My Love
_________________________________________




** Disclaimer: All content on this blog is my own. Paid Advertorials are my own views, opinion and content. Copyright of Deadly Is The Female.

Share:
© Deadly Is The Female | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig